Google
 

Friday, March 7, 2008

Candlepin Bowling on Channel 5 (1958-1996)

One way to know if someone grew up in Boston is ask them if they remember Don Gillis and the candlepin bowling show on Channel 5.
Candlepin Bowling debuted on Channel 5 (then WHDH-TV) on Oct. 4, 1958 and continued to be aired on WCVB-TV Channel 5 in March 1972. Candlepin Bowling's last broadcast was in January 1996. The show was so popular that when WCVB-TV took over from WHDH-TV after the government revoked the license in 1972 that WCVB bought the unaired tapes from WHDH and continued to run the show exactly the way it had been. The show only has 2 hosts, Don Gillis and Jim Britt. Britt who started with the show in 1958 was a tragic figure in Boston broadcasting as he was a very popular baseball announcer with the Red Sox and Braves. In 1951 the Red Sox decided they would air road games on radio and Britt was asked to choose between the 2 teams and he chose the Braves who left town 2 years later. The Red Sox job was then given to a Yankees announcer by the name of Curt Gowdy.
This was literally a show that New Englanders timed their Saturdays around. For years the Boston Globe used to publish a box of the most watched sports shows of the week and 9 times out of 10 candlepins would win the week. The show was cancelled not because of lack of viewers but WCVB decided the viewers were 'too old'. In my household it was background noise but a force of habit.
Candlepins in the last decade as been dying a slow death as many of the remaining alleys have closed including my favorite which was literally under Fenway Park. When I was growing up every neighborhood had a bowling alley and even Harvard Square had one in a basement on Boylston (now JFK) St. My wife cried a few years ago when her teenage hangout in Waltham the Wal-Lex closed for good. A long time bowling alley in Davis Square may soon close and the community there is concerned.
One show stands out over those 38 years. I remember watching it live in utter shock. A bowler had won every match for weeks and finally it was certain he would lose. What happened was simply amazing.





Here is a list of some of the milestones during the 38 year broadcast run:


Most consecutive victories (men): Tom Olszta (22)
Most appearances: Tom Olszta (90)
Most consecutive victories (women): Stacia Czernicki (18)
High Single (men): Ed Czernicki, March 31, 1979 (179)
High Single (women): Janet Poch, Sept. 21, 1991 (165)
High Triple (men): Paul Berger, May 2, 1992 (500)
High Triple (women): Janet Poch, Sept. 27, 1993 (422)

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh the memories!!!!

Kevin W. said...

I used to watch this when I was a little kid with my grandfather back in the 1980s. It always seemed to be on the tv at his house. People need to get back into candlepin again.

one_alone said...

I NEVER missed this show. I remember mentioning to a coworker way back when that I watched candlepin bowling every weekend. He honestly thought I was nuts. (Screw him!) Thank you for sharing these awesome memories. The best of times!

Anonymous said...

actually ed czernickis high single was 197 not 179

Unknown said...

I was on the show in 1974, I was 7 at time, and trying to see if there is anyway to find any tape on the show. Love to show my daughter the footage.

Unknown said...

This was definitely a staple in my life growing up. I would watch cartoons Saturday morning, and my parents would come in at noon to watch bowling on channel 5, and I would watch with them. Candlepin bowling is much more challenging and exciting than ten pin bowling, and it is sad that the sport is dying. SHAME on channel 5 for cancelling this show!! Also, the high single for men was 193, bowled in the last string by Paul Berger when he bowled his legendary 500.

Unknown said...

I would bowl in my Saturday morning leauge, then come home and watch, in western mass it was let's go bowling, a different show I believe..... but awesome just the same! I still bowl 2 nights a week at Agawam bowl...... but there isn't many lanes left. I also bowled a few times under fenway park.... that was always so cool.

Unknown said...

I would bowl in my Saturday morning leauge, then come home and watch, in western mass it was let's go bowling, a different show I believe..... but awesome just the same! I still bowl 2 nights a week at Agawam bowl...... but there isn't many lanes left. I also bowled a few times under fenway park.... that was always so cool.

Unknown said...

I was on the kids show in 1972. I bowled against mike spillman from salem and lost 123-120. I would love to see that episode. Is there any way to get the recording of it?

Tom Kania said...

It's so wonderful to his here. Back in the 50's, 60's and later we use to watch the show on Channel 40 out of Springfield, Mass. I never stopped watching the show until I left Hartford County for Charlotte, NC in 1994. Tommy Olstza was so magnificent as were so many of the others. I had the pleasure of bowling at Candle Lanes in Pittsfield, MASS a few years ago. Maybe the sport should move here to the south. I know of a vacant building here in Boiling Springs, SC that would be a good place to start!As Bob Hope use to say, THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES!

Tkplanr@cs.com

steve perry said...

we always watched the show at noon on ch. 5 and sure miss it. my mom was a league bowlerat walex and i bowled league at bedford and acton in the 70's, 80's and 90's. just got into it again, really love candlepin bowling.my wife and i met league bowling.

Unknown said...

Does anyone remember the name of the bowling alley that used to be on Route 1 South In I think Lynnfield or maybe it was Saugus? I remember my sister and I going there with our Mother in the 80’s. They had a day care for us kids and would serve doughnuts that my mom would always get us. My Mom was actually good enough to get on that popular Saturday morning show for candlepin bowling. Forget which one. But anyway, it’s killing me not being able to recall the name of that bowling alley! Circle Bowl & Bowl-O-Mat keep popping in my head...tried to search for it in google with no luck! Can anyone help?

Unknown said...

What a memory for me. I watched my father Walter Bush, many times on this show. Charlie Jutras, many people I made friends with here. Sure do miss it!

Anonymous said...

It was Circle Bowl

Anonymous said...

Let's make our top 10 list.
I will begin (not necessarily in order): Tommy Olszta, Paul Berger, Gary Carrington, Jeff Atkins, Dick O'Connell, Stasia Czernicki, Charlie
Jutras, Chris Sargent, Marcelle Aiken,
and Dick Smus

Anonymous said...

When we first moved into our Brookline apartment after we were married, I noticed a candlepin bowling ball in the newly-pained closet. The building superintendent said it was his and asked if I want to join a Sunday night bowling league. With my bride's permissionn I agreed. After the first bowling match in Jamaica Plain, me, the ever curious nice Jewish boy asked: "By the way. What is the name of this bowling league?". The answer:
"Saint Mary's of the Angels." I continued every week. I was very proud of my 105 average (and trophy) at the end of the year banquet. The bowling was fun but the comradery is irreplaceable.

Anonymous said...

Sad to report Charlie Jutras passed away in 2020 and Dick Smus passed in 2021.

Anonymous said...

Peter Flynn, fran onorato

Anonymous said...

My husband Fred Grato was on one Saturday. How can I find his clip?